WAM Vocational Program 2017

WAM’s 2017 Vocational Program started on April 3rd with 25 enthusiastic trainees. A pre evaluation was completed by each trainee identifying their personal goals from participating in the WAM program. To be employed was 60% of the trainees goal and 28% wanted to get their GED. Advanced education such as a trade or vocational school was the remaining 12% goal.

In weeks one to four the trainees were guided to look towards themselves. The theme was “Self Identity”. These weeks of the curriculum involved the life-skills counselors assisting the trainees in the process of obtaining social security numbers, birth certificates, bank accounts, health clearances and ID cards. The trainees were also introduced to the substance abuse counseling program and advised on time management and money management strategies. The trainees were informed on the knowledge about migrating through participating in a presentation by Internal Organization for Migration (IOM). The counselors have conducted completed Behavioral Health Screenings for 60% of the trainees. The remaining 40% will be completed in the next few weeks.

In weeks five to ten the theme was “Health”. This is where all the trainees learned about the importance of a healthy life style. The topics covered were suicide prevention, substances, inhalants and drugs and STI’s/HIVs. The focus of these weeks were an introduction for the trainees in independent living skills by working on the garden and having guests such as the Wellness Center teach trainees how to cook healthy meals using local foods. There were guest speakers from CMI Peer to Peer Educators, Youth to Youth in Health, Kumit Bobrae, and Jerry Nii to extend trainees knowledge of local services. Also, the Youth Reference Group (YRG) started their preparation for the open house. Starting the week of June 5th trainees will be introduced to basic computer skills that will help them in their employment search and continuing education after the completion of the WAM program.

Enjoy the pictures of these events.

Orientation Day with Director Alson Kelen and Counselors Suemina Bohanny & Sealend Laiden. Photo: Tamie Bowman

Orientation Day with Director Alson Kelen and Counselors Suemina Bohanny & Sealend Laiden. Photo: Tamie Bowman

 

NTC Trainees for WAM Vocational Program 2017. Photo: Isocker Anwel

NTC Trainees for WAM Vocational Program 2017. Photo: Isocker Anwel

Vocational Orientation with trainer/navigator Binton Danel. Photo: Sealend Laiden

Vocational Orientation with trainer/navigator Binton Danel. Photo: Sealend Laiden

Vocational Training pictured left to right is Fredly Amlej, Idelia Stephen, Lestha Mokka, Carlos Kesai, Jerryann Harkey, Thyin Laibwij. Photo: Sueminna Bohanny

Vocational Training pictured left to right is Fredly Amlej, Idelia Stephen, Lestha Mokka, Carlos Kesai, Jerryann Harkey, Thyin Laibwij. Photo: Suemina Bohanny

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *